Sunday, January 17, 2010

In The Words Of Kate Moss


"Nothing taste as good as skinny feels"
- Kate Moss

I thought it was a funny quote honestly. Others did not. It kind of sparked a small debate on twitter the other day. But this is my take on it.

I consider myself a pretty fashion forward guy. I'm not the best dressed guy in the world, but I'm definitely many steps ahead of the average. My style is pretty basic yet timeless. Blazers, vests,bow-ties, dress shoes, straight leg jeans or pants, sweaters, cardigans, ties you get my drift. The Classic American Boy look. It will work for me, for the rest of my life. And I'm content with that. It never gets old, it never goes out of style.

The problem comes into play because of my size. I'm a bigger guy, I'm 5'9 1/2 and a 38w. Now my waist is honestly caught somewhere between a 36w-38w but i have thighs that could choke an Elephant. So it's safer just to go with the 38w. Now i know i'm not "FAT". Your average person who doesn't know me would think I'm a football player or body guard. I get asked constantly. My friend have to laugh because they how i feel about getting dirty.

But my selections are definitely limited. Especially when you get to the more expensive and better named branded clothing. True Religion jeans only go up to a 38w. And that's damn near extinct. The Levi store normally doesn't go past a 36w. If you want a 38w you need to order them online. a 40w + is not an option. Anywhere. Urban Outfitters, French Connection, United Colors of Benetton, and Zara all only go up to a 36w and that's the LARGEST. Which means their may only be 1 or 2. The stores all cater to 30w-34w. And tops? A Large is the biggest. And that's a slim fit. Normally. Luckily i wear a large but that's still not to say that these clothes would fit me properly.

So now you could understand why that quote was a bit funny to me. You see in fashion the bigger you are, the less likely you are to dress nicely. And if your basically any bigger then a large your exiled to the "Big and Tall" department store. Or the "Torrid"s of the world. Who really wants to shop there? Gross. Yea it's sad, but we all know its been like this forever. And I'm a realist. I'm not here to try to change the world, I'm simply here to live my life. So i could be another Tyra Banks and make people believe it's ok to be "plus size" and still be fashion forward (and then loose 30 pounds like she did) but at the end of the day who really wants to go through all that hard work. It takes me forever to find a decent outfit b/c something may or may not fit. Versus my skinny friends can go into a store pick something, and buy it. I have to try on EVERYTHING. Online shopping is even a hassle b/c you can't try anything on. Yes it is very possible to big and fashion forward, that's definitely not what I'm saying. But its harder. And as good of a dresser you are in your mind, it gets very annoying when you can't execute an AMAZING outfit because your legs are to big, or because they don't have your size. And then you have to pass your creation on to your skinny friend (if your nice like i am).

2 comments:

  1. 1. i completely agree with everything stated here.

    2. your'e not nice. end of that discussion.

    3. I wish u updated more often. You should really look into doing some graphics and stuff on here. Possibly get someone to check over your statements and all that jazz. The stuff you write about is very interesting. Although the topics may be long...I often find myself intrigued and reading to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lawd how often you want me to do a post?!? LOL! I try to do at least 2-3 per week at the least. And yea I'm definitely working on getting someone to get a good layout for my blog its quite boring i must admit myself. But thanks so much for the feed back! I means alot!

    ReplyDelete