Thursday, January 27, 2011

Why I Write

Yesterday was my 1st day in English class of this semester. My professor, a quirky little white girl that looks like she came straight of out Urban Outfitters, asked me why do i write. It was actually an essay she had us read. And it made me think. Why do i write? Then i felt compelled to write, why i write.

As far back as i can remember i have always wrote stuff for fun. I used to write these short stories and send them to school with my sister. She would read them to the class and always come back and tell me how much everyone loved them. And then she'd have me write another 1. Id write like 1 a week, and it kinda turned into a ritual. She loved it. It felt appreciated. So i wrote more. For her and her class. I also had a friend who lived out of state, and i would send him this 100 page stories that i would write. Total fiction. That was back in the day when i was obsessed with comic books. But i just had all these crazy stories wrapped up in my head and i can't explain the joy i got from just laying it all down on paper. Back then i was more strict than i am now. I used to hand write everything in some .99 notebooks, and then i would get on my mother's computer and write it again. And then i would print it all out. My mother used to fuss at me because i used to much printing paper.

I think that is why i know i have to be a writer. Its the only thing in this world that i can do that i really LOVE doing. Of course now i want to write about different things. I've always be fascinated with art. So i could write for days about the the art of fashion. The way someone dresses. Their style. Why i like it, or why i hate it. Or how something (or someone) is beautiful to me. Why they are beautiful. What makes them so beautiful and striking. Features in someones face that make them look different. Someones hair. The color. How that color or style compliments their face or their skin tone. I could go on for days.

Then there is the thing called an "opinion". I have an opinion about everything. And i want to be heard. And i want you to agree. Or disagree. But i want you to be invested in what i have to say. I want an explanation. To everything. I feel like that's why I'm alive. To know the answer. Everything has a formula. And i want to know it. I NEED to know it. So i can dissect it. And analyze it to the best of my ability. And then write it out.

At one point in time i thought i wanted to be a journalist. And even though i have a very strong passion for journalism i still think I'm a bit to judgmental. Journalist have to be biased towards a lot of things. And i couldn't do that. So i write. I write it all down, to get it all out, and post it here for you guys to see. To read what i have to say. To see my point of view. And to agree. Or disagree.

2 comments:

  1. I think we all have our motivations of why we write. I know one that stuck with me was my teacher always telling me, "we write to be read." We all want to be heard. I'm like you, I have an opinion. I'd like to share and don't really care who agrees or disagrees. I think writing has become to my scapegoat and even lively hood.

    As long as I've been knowing you, I never really knew you had an interest in writing until recently. I'm glad to check out your pieces from what you post. Write. Continue to write and I'm sure it brings you as much happiness as I. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Ya know, for a while i kinda think i forgot what my "passion" was. I got caught up in making good money and i thought "well i make good money, i can do this." But as i started getting older i kind of found myself again per say. And i'm glad i did. I think im much happier and in a better place. I actually have a GOAL, and that makes everyday easier because i know what im striving for.

    ReplyDelete