Thursday, September 23, 2010

And Let The Church Say....Amen


I’ve spent pretty much my entire life raised in your stereotypical southern Baptist church. For 18 years I went faithfully every Sunday. Sunday school from 8:30 am to 10:00, followed by the Service from 10:45 to 1:00 pm. My mother, was (and still is) the Minster of Music. Director of the Choir. And on the Board of Trustee. I mean she went the whole 9 yards. You get where I’m going.

My Father is a different story. For the 18 years that I was forced to go to church my father went about 8 times. And that was for Christmas. He never said he didn’t believe in God, his was response was always “I believe in Nature”.

My relationship with the church has been a rocky one. As soon as I was 19 I stopped going. For about 4 years. My views changed. I stopped believing in organized religion (For various reasons that would obviously turn into a novel not a blog entry). But I have a great relationship with God. I pray everyday. Maybe I don’t do it traditionally on my knees every night and morning, but it definitely gets done.

About a year ago, I started going back to church. Now I won’t lie, it was somewhat therapeutic in some aspects. I heard some great, fulfilling sermons. But at the end of the day, I still felt the same way, and I’ve stopped going again.

This situation with Bishop Eddie Long really hit home for me. For many reasons.

In case you don’t know who Bishop Eddie Long is, he’s a prominent Pastor over one of the largest churches in the Country. This Prominent Bishop who in fact, not long ago led a march against Gay Marriage, and is notorious for preaching against Homosexuals, may be a…**drum roll please**….. homosexual.

Well Old Bishop has been caught up in a scandal. 2 men are suing him for “coercing” them into having sex with them. Various articles go into detail about how Long persuaded the 2 men into engaging in various sexual acts with them by using his “Power” as a minister. Also he showered them with lavish gifts such as cars, trips, and jewelry.

Now, this all could very well not be true. I honestly, don’t have an opinion on whether it is or not. As a young man raised in a church, I know that many of the things Bishop Long gave these young men may seem extravagant to some, but it is quite common in a Southern church. Gifts such as trips. There were many trips that the men’s youth group was taken on. I didn’t go, because I hated them all, but that’s a different story. Now as for the Mustang that he allegedly brought one of them, and the excessive jewelry, that’s a bit questionable. But we all know when you in a position of Power, and a situation can look questionable, people can take things, and run with it as far as they can. Look what happened to Michael Jackson.

But how ironic is it that this Pastor who consistently preaches about the wrongful doings of homosexuals. Marches proudly against it.. And is married, with four children I might add, be caught in a homosexual scandal. Homosexuality is something that is heavily frowned upon in black churches, and in the black community. But then people want to act shocked and surprised when these men are running around leading double lives. These men are filled with self-hatred because it’s drilled in their head that being gay is a crime against God. Yet, it’s something that you can’t control. Something that you can’t “CHOOSE” to go away, or just stop it you want to. So what are they to do to mask the shame of something they can’t get make go away or stop. They turn into Bishop Eddie Long. A man, making the most noise about something that he is most ashamed about. (If it’s true)

Most people turn their heads to the hypocrisy in churches. I know everything isn’t perfect. But the kind of person I am, I just can’t. I can’t sit somewhere and have someone tell me what I should or should not be doing while they are doing the same thing, if not worst. People put so much faith in their Pastor’s that they can do no wrong, or that they are “Ordained by God” so they are the closest thing to perfection there is. When in actuality, they are normal, just like us.

Then, what's even more ironic part about this is that when I heard, I wasn’t mad or even shocked…I was kind of sad. I was sad for these 2 guys who were seeking guidance from their pastor who I’m more then sure they believed was there to give them nothing but the best advice (as WE young men in the church are taught), were taken advantage of. And I feel sorry for that Pastor, who is filled with so much shame that it forces him to do things like this. It’s all so heartbreaking that we as a community can’t move forward from this kind of taboo topic. So i prayed for the 2 guys, i prayed for the Pastor, and i prayed that one day we will do better. As a Church, and as a Community.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Well, I expected to read some harsh criticism of religion all together on this post. But, regardless, you're correct that homosexuality is a taboo topic in the black church. It's automatically frowned upon. But, imo, what's worse is the excessive lifestyles that these "mega church" pastors are leading. It causes a significant problem and prevents MANY people from coming to Christ. Not only is Eddie Long seen as a liar but regardless of the outcome of this case...he will never have another strong following as he does now. Needless to say, after watching his sermons and other stuff...he was full of BS anyway (which is another topic).

    Very sad indeed.

    ReplyDelete