Tuesday, November 24, 2009

"Who the fuck raised you?"

All of my life one of the values my mother instilled in me was to "Treat others the way you want to be treated."It sounds so easy. Your nice to people, people are nice to you. You tell the truth and be honest, they do the same to you. Of course i woke up and eventually realized that this wasn't true all the time.

The problem is, i still abide by this rule in my everyday life. It typically doesn't work in my favor seeing how i work in customer service at a cell phone company. See, in customer service it's different. It's more like "Treat the customer service representative how you want, and they will smile and take it." I wish i could. But that's not what i was taught. So i blame her. I truly feel like you treat people the way you want to be treated. Therefor if someone is a complete asshole to you, it's only fair and just to be a complete asshole in return. If someone is friendly and polite, then by all means, be just as friendly and polite.

Working at AT&T i think i probably deal with maybe 100 different customers a week. I've been there for 2 1/2 years now. And i am still amazed and how people can treat other people and think that it's "OK". How people can talk to other people with such disdain and really believe in their heart that your supposed to smile and be like "that's fine". I come across so many customers that i just want to ask "Who the fuck raised you?"

Now granted, most of the people that walk into an AT&T store, have a problem with their cellphone or their cellphone bill. I can understand your frustration. Cell phones these days are people's life line. What are we to do without them? But anybody with any kind of common sense or manners should know that if your coming into this store b/c you need MY help, or AT&T's help, you should at least be a little friendly or courteous right? Wrong. I guess b/c they feel like they are paying US they can treat anybody any kind of way. Just ignorant. I get paid if you have service or not ma'am.

I've meet some people so nice it made me want to be a better person. Made me think "Wow, their are some really nice and genuine people in this world." (Believe me, when you've gone through someone's cellphone, you've seen their soul) Then I've met some people so rude and nasty that it made me want to literally jump over the counter and inflict severe physical pain on them. My actions are reaction to your actions.

My co-workers call me the "Advocate" for teaching people how to treat people. They say it's what i was placed on this earth for. I have so many customers who say that I'm so "pleasant" to do business with. I've been offered jobs, money, and other things that i won't say, all for being friendly and smiling. And then their are some customers who will say "I have NEVER came across someone with such a NASTY demeanor". Yes you have lady. You know who? You mother. Because she's who the fuck raised you. And I'm treating you like you treated me. And that's just what i say (of course without the fuck). Surprised i still have a job? I am to. Don't blame me. Blame Wilhemina. She's who the fuck raised me.

No comments:

Post a Comment